3 Steps To Make a Website
Decide which website builder to use
We love using Wordpress. It's the most popular website builder in the world. It's FREE! and is used by 25% of the entire Internet, including brands like Mercedes-Benz, CNN and Rolling Stones.Learn More
Get your .COM Address & Website Hosting
Wordpress is free but you need a web hosting account to install it on. Wordpress recommends using Blue Host for about $5/month. This also includes a FREE Domain Name. That's $12 in SAVINGS.Learn More
Visit Blue Host
Set Up Your Website
Here I will walk you through the steps to settup up wordpress for the first time. It fairly simple, and if you stay patient you will have built an amazing, professional looking website all by yourself.Learn More
Chose a Website Building Platform
WordPress vs Other Website Builders
Wordpress is the most popular platform in the world. As I've mentioned it's Free and can also be customized with themes and plugins to create any type of website you want.
This chart shows the most popular website builders - as you can see WordPress is the most popular website builder in the world and is used by 25% of all websites on the internet today (this number is growing daily).
Visit bluehost to get a FREE DOMAIN NAME and set up Wordpress.
Websites built with WordPress
Benefits of using WordPress
WordPress has been around since 2003 and is the world’s most popular website-building/blogging platform on the market today. Over the last few years it has evolved to offer tons of new features and it is still the most popular content management system on the internet overall.
- It’s 100% Free.
- Fully Customizable with Themes – Chose any look for your website by picking from thousands of free themes. WordPress is 100% customizable and can be turned into any website you want.
- Mobile Ready – Your website will be mobile friendly and work on all devices.
- Self hosted – gives you complete control of your website.
- Search Engines Love It – After making a site with WordPress it is much more likely to get listed on Google than with any other website builders we have seen. WordPress websites are always structured properly and are picked up by search engines very quickly as a result. If you are willing to write a few pages of good quality content about your business, you can get in the search engine rankings fairly quickly. The more content you make the more search engines will love you.
- Social Media Friendly – Integrate your blog posts automatically with social sites like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn etc. Your post can appear on FaceBook, Twitter, Google+, etc.
- Save Money– Easily make your own changes to your website without asking for help from your web designer.
- No programming/Coding knowledge necessary – WordPress is simple enough to use without having to be a web developer. You can however get fancy and do some really cool stuff down the line if you decide to learn some code. For now, we’ll keep it click and drag. Just remember that the power is in your hands now.
- Easy To Use – Create new pages or blog posts within seconds. You can even schedule a future date when you want your posts to go live. Also, you can save your documents as drafts and work on them later. You can pretty much do whatever you want.
- Manage Your Website From Any Computer – Make changes to your website from anywhere in the world as long as you have a laptop and an internet connection.
- You Control Your Website – By setting up your website with a powerful system like WordPress you will seem like a pro who knows what they are doing in the eyes of web developers and will never get ripped off again. You can manage your website yourself or create different users that can log-in to make changes. Also, because WordPress is the most popular in the world, you can easily find someone who can help you vs. other less popular platforms.
- Has A Blog Built In and ready To Use – If you want to have a blog or a news section on your website, you can start right away. Simply create a new blog post and click publish.
- Multiple Users can Manage Your Site – If you want others to contribute articles/content to your website without having permission to do structural changes or mess anything up, just create new users and give them appropriate user privileges.
- Create a paid membership site – with an addition of a few simple plugins, turn your WordPress site into a membership site that makes you money on autopilot.
- Interact with your website visitors – Allow visitors to comment on your website pages. Add a contact form for people to easily send you emails or direct visitors to your social media pages from your website.
- Videos and Audio - Easily add video and sound-clips/podcasts to your website.
- Thousands of Free Plugins – Make your dream website by extending its functionality with free out of the box plugins. Turn your website into a store, membership site, forum, portfolio or your own social media site. Add a calendar, automated backup, video gallery, Facebook Fan Page, Twitter Feed, Email collection Form, and many others. Anything is possible with plugins.
- Free Automatic Upgrades – Keep your website up to date with free automatic free updates.
- Grow your website as your business grows – setting up your website with WordPress will allow your site to scale as big as you want. If you ever grow so big that you need to move your website to another server, it can be done in about half hour – and since WordPress is the most popular in the world you can easily find help with any aspect of your website.
- Sorry, there are too many great benefits to list, let’s just get to the chase allready.
Get your Business Name .COM - FREE
Before you begin setting up your website there are two things that you need first.
Think of a Domain Name - This will be the web address of your business, such as www.YOUR-NAME.com. Having your own domain name will make your site look a lot more professional. You can even set up a pforessional email account ex: joe@YourBusiness.com one you have your own domain name. If you fallow all the steps in this guide you can get a free domain name when you get a hosting account with Blue Host
When deciding on a domain name we recommend something brandable, short and catchy. Or, it can just be a full name of your business or your own name if you are making a resume/portfolio. When choosing a domain name you can use different extensions such as .COM .NET .ORG .TRAVEL .TAXI. We recommend using a .COM .NET or .ORG as these are the most commonly recognized by most people.
Chose a webhost for your website – a webhost is basically a home for your website. This is a computer that a webhosting company runs 24/7 to keep your website accessible to visitors.
Webhosting is very cheap and usually costs about $3 - $5 a month. This is much cheaper than any other website building platforms offer, which can go as high as thirty dollars a month for a basic website.
The hosting company we recommend is Blue Host. You will get a free domain name when you sign up for hosting and it’s only a few $$ a month. For referring bluehost, websitesdiy will receive a small commission to keep making these free tutorials.
We recommend blue host because they have:
(1) Great customer support
(2) Very reliable
(3) Free Domain NameGet Hosting from blue host
Set Up WordPress
Before proceeding with Step 3, make sure you have completed the following:
- Chosen A Business Name
- Signed up with BlueHost
- Got Your Free Domain Name (when you signed up for BlueHost)
Bluehost offers a one click install option.
To set up wordpress start by loggin into your hosting account. You should have received an email from Bluehost with your login information.
After you have logged in you will be inside your account administration area called C-Panel.
Upon logging in, if you are not taken directly to C-Panel (Your Main Webhosting Account Dashboard), click on C-Panel at the top of the page.
Next scroll down to Website Builders and click on Install Wordpress
Use the Free Install Option - there's no reason to pay someone as this is fairly simple
Next fill out all the details:
- Chose a domain name - here you will need to select which one of your domain names you want to install wordpress on. At this point you will probably have only one domain name to pick from, which is the same name you registered when you created your bluehost account.
- Leave the install/path/here blank. This will make sure your website is installed in the main directory and not a subfolder like www.your-site.com/website-1/
- Enter your email
- Enter the name of your website under Blog Title - even though it says blog, wordpress is used to create blogs and websites
- Admin User - pick a unique username to log into wordpress with - Do not use Admin as a username because it's ofter targeted by hackers
- Fill out First and Last Name - you don't need to use your real name if you don't want to
- Finish the installation
Once the installation is finished (takes about a minute) you will receive a confirmation email with login information to log into your wordpress website. The email should have both, the username and a secure password for you to log into your website.
Note: The login information that you used to sign up for webhosting is different from the login information for your website running on wordpress - these are two separate things - do not confuse them.
Log into WordPress to begin setting up your website.
To log into your WordPress dashboard, type in the following link in your browser: http://yoursite.com/wp-admin/
Check your email for the username and password which were automatically emailed to you after Wordpress was installed. These are different from your webhosting username and password.
Once you're logged in - you will be inside the wordpress dashboard.
Picking a theme for your website
The first step to creating a new website is to choose a theme that will define the look of your website. There are plenty of nice free themes available in the wordpress themes library that you can install and experiment with.
There are also premium themes that can really take your website to the next level and make it look like it was build by an expert web developer who charged you thousands of dollars. These themes will roughly cost you only $50 and save you thousands of dollars.
In our example we will be working with a free theme called “Sydney”. You can chose a different theme if you like, but for the purpose of this exercise we will be working with “Sydney”.
To pick a theme, click on Appearance - > Themes. Then click on the “Add New” button at the top.
Once you are in the theme library you can search for a theme that you want. In this example we will be working with a free theme called “Sydney”. To get this free theme type “Sydney” in the search field. Hover your mouse over the theme and click the “Install Button”.
Once the theme for your website is finished installing click on “Activate”.
You will get a success message saying "New theme activated", and the theme will appear as active.
Customizing the theme/look of your website
To personalize the look of your website, click on Appearance -> Customize.
The "Customize" menu will look like the following:
Editing the Logo
To make a Free Logo for your website you can use LogoMakr at www.logomakr.com. Make the height of your logo no bigger than 60px (pixels). That's the height of the logo that we will be using in our example.
If you want to come up with a really fancy logo, then consider getting Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop.
To edit the logo for your website click on
Site title -> Tagline -> Logo .
You can have the logo appear as simple Text with a Tagline at the bottom or you can change it to your own logo.
NOTE: To make the logo look like our example you need to have a logo with a transparent background. LogoMakr does this by default, but most other tools don't.
Once your logo is ready to go, click the
“Change Image” button to add it to your website. This will automatically replace the default logo text that was there before.
NOTE: Don't waste too much time on your webste logo. In fact it may be easier to just keep the logo as 'text' untill you get your logo done. To use a simple text logo, remove the image you have uploaded.
Edit the Header Area of your website
To replace “Welcome to my new website” text in the middle of the page and the background picture with the sunset, click on the “Header Area” in the customizer and then click on “Header Slider”.
A slider is a useful tool for rotating different picture slides in the header of your website. In this example we will keep things simple by having only one slide. You can add more slides to your website later when you are more comfortable with WordPress.
After clicking the “Header Slider” you will be presented with the options to edit the slider.
Change the “Slider Speed” to 0. This is necessary since we will only have one slide for now.
Scroll down and set the “Text Slider Speed” to 4000, and check the “Stop the text slider” checkbox.
Scroll down the customizer till you see the “FIRST SLIDE” options. Here is where you can add an image of your choice.
One very good source for FREE images is: www.unspalsh.com.
You can use this website to create beautiful headers for your website.
Next you should change the Title and the Subtitle for your headline to whatever you want.
After that, scroll all the way to the bottom of the website customizer to the “CALL TO ACTION BUTTON”.
Change the Text for your call to action button to whatever you prefer. This can say “Read More” or “Our Services” or something like that.
Leave the "URL" for your call to action button defaulted to “#primary”.
Website Title and Tag line
Before you go live with your website, you will need to make sure the title and tagline are set correctly. Go to Settings -> General
Title – This was allready set up when you installed wordpress. You can modify it here if you need to. Once you upload a picture to be used for the logo the text title will automatically dissapear.
Tagline – In this example we removed the tagline because it interferes with the look of the website.
Adding Pages/Posts to your website
Adding content to your website is done through Pages/Posts.
The difference between pages and posts is, “Pages” are used for adding regular content to your websites, and “Posts” are used for adding new posts to your blog. For example if you have a business and you want to create a contact page or a products page you would use “Pages”. If you want your site to have a blog section you will need to use “Posts” instead.
To add a new page click on Pages-> Add New Enter the “Title” for your new page, write some content in the “Editor” and click “Publish”. NOTE: Try making your title catchy so it makes people want to click on it and read more. Also think of the keywords you want to rank for in the search engines and pick a title that would be relevant to what you are trying to rank for. To preview the page you have created hold “Ctrl” or “Cmd ⌘” on a mac and click the “View Page” button. This will open a new tab to preview your newly created page. Add a couple more pages with some content to describe your business and publish them also. If you are creating a blog, do the same thing but add posts by clicking “Posts” -> “Add New”, and repeat the same process as for adding pages. Add a title, add some content, and publish. Now that you have a few pages added, you website will begin to start taking shape and looking like a real website.
Make a Front Page for your website
To make one of your pages appear as the main front page for your website, and not just a list of your latest blog posts, you need to do the following:
Click to edit one of your pages and look on the right where it says “Page Attributes”. Under “Template” select “Full width” from the dropdown and click “Publish” to save your changes.
Next go to Appearance -> Customizer . Scroll to the bottom of the “Customizer” and click on “Static Front Page”. Under front page display select “A static page” and select the page you want to be your websites home page. After you are done, click Save. Check your website by going to your main URL at www.yourwebsite.com to see the changes.
Create a Menu for your website
Now that you have added some pages/posts to your website we can create a menu to display the links to all the content that you have.
To create a menu go to Appearance -> Menus. Then click on “Create New Menu”. Here you can select the different pages that you want added to the menu and then click the “Add to Menu” button to move them over to the right side of the screen. Once you have chosen the menu items you want, you can organize them by clicking and dragging them around. Next we need to tell WordPress were this menu will appear on the website. Scroll down to “Menu Settings”, and check “Primary menu” beside “Theme Locations”. After you are fully satisfied with the structure of your menu scroll to the bottom and click “Save Menu” to save your work. Your menu should now appear at the top right corner of your website. Preview your website in a new tab to see the results. This is just a small tip, but having multiple tabs open in your browser can speed up your work because you can simply go from tab to tab without losing the previous window you were working with.
Having some content on the right side of your page is a very good way to display additional information that your visitors may find interesting. For example as they scroll to read your content you can present them with some “Ads” or links to your other pages on the side. By default the theme we installed adds a sidebar to all pages/posts on your website.
Adding / Removing the sidebar
By default all your blog posts and pages will have a sidebar added after you install the "Syndey" theme. To remove the sidebar, edit your page and select "Full Width" under the Page Attributes. To add the sidebar back, edit your page and select "Default Template" under page attributes. Remember to Publish your pages to save the changes you've made.
Editing The Sidebar
To edit what appears inside the sidebar click on Appearance -> Widgets.
Here you can click and drag various widgets that you want to add to your sidebar.Your widgets will get saved to the sidebar automatically after dragging them over without you having to save changes. However, once you make changes within each individual widget, you will need to click 'Save' within the widget. After you are finished, the changes you have made to the sidebar will appear across your entire website on all pages /posts that have the sidebar enabled.
Your new website will automatically allow people to comment on your blog posts. Comments on pages will be automatically turned off. You can change whether you want comments on your individual pages/post. Go to Pages and Edit a single page. Then, in the top-right corder click Screen Options -> Discussion. Make sure the “Discussion” checkbox is checked. Leave the other settings unchanged.
Next scroll down the page you are editing and find the Discussion box. Uncheck "Allow Comments".
Disable Comments by Default
To Disable Comments by default go to Settings -> Discussion. Uncheck the box where it says “Allow people to post comments on new articles”.
The footer of your website is a perfect place to put your contact information, address, map and links to your social media buttons. To edit the footer go to Appearance -> Widgets. The footer is made up of three separate columns, footer 1, 2 and 3. Here you can drag and drop ech of the individual widgets that you want to appear in the footer section.
Make you website even better with plugins
To get free plugins click on Plugins -> Add New. Plugins can be used to add new features and capabilities to your website that don’t come installed by default with wordpress. For example you may want to add a contact form to your website, or turn your website into an online store or a social media platform. By simply installing an appropriate plugin your website can be turned into anything you want. You may even want to create a membership site where you charge your users for a monthly membership. There are tons of free plugins that are available to be installed from the wordpress plugins library. There are also some amazing premium plugins that only cost a few bucks that can really take your website to the next level and help you grow your online business. Some of the free plugins we recommend are:
- Contact Form 7 – This plugin allows you to create a contact form on your website that will allow your site visitors to send you an email by simple filling out a form and clicking send. This is a great way to get new leads for your bussiness and be able to reply to start your conversation with them over email. Just search for and install “Contact Form 7” in the plugins library.
- YOAST SEO – Having your website rank in the top of the search engines can take your business from zero to a huge success really fast. This plugin is a must have for proper search engine optimization. You will be able to edit your title tags, meta descriptions and more, all from within the individual pages you create. It will also provide you with suggestions to better optimize your site. Just search and install “YOAST SEO” from the plugins library.
- Online Forum – You can add a forum section to your website where users can create individual topics for other members to comment on. This is great for creating an online community around your business. You can set up a forum with a free plugin called “bbPress”.
- Page Builder by SiteOrigin & SiteOrigin Widget Bundle – A combination of both of these plugins gives you a visual drag and drop page builder that you can use to create amazing looking landing pages on your website. You can then set any page to be your homepage to create an eye catching look for your website. Click here to learn how to use Page Builder.
- Title Remover – Allows you to remove titles from your pages and posts. You may be asking why you would do such a thing especially when your need to have proper titles for google to rank you. Well, heres the trick. If you have installed Page Builder and Widgets Bundle (from above) you can recreate the title yourself and style it however you like. Also, when you are making a landing page you want to remove the title all together and have a clean canvas to work with, without having the default title floating in the top left corner of your content area.
- Spacer – This is a nice addition to the site origin page builder. You can use it to separate your content with a spacer in the middle of the page. By setting the height of the spacer you can control how much your content blocks are vertically separated from each other.
- Lightbox Plus Color Box – This plugin will allow you to open images in a popup window when the website visitor clicks on the images.
- Black Studio Tiny MCE Widget – This plugin will replace the default wordpress text editor with a more advanced rich text visual editor.
- There are thousands of usefull plugins out there. Just search for the one you need in the plugin directory under
That’s it – You are done
Do you know anyone else that needs a website? Share this guide with your friends. Like us on
Please check out my other tutorials by clicking on tutorials in the top menu. If you have any questions please join our community by clicking on Community in the menu.